11.05.2007

halloween ball

alternate title: never get stuck in a sphere at the top of a tower with 275 people and two one-stall bathrooms.

i regret to inform that i have no pictures of my halloween costume. my camera's batteries died because my camera hasn't been plugged in to charge since the last time i officially occupied my home in nashville. and, i only had triple-A batteries as backups (if you know me and my profession, you will understand).

the party was held at the top of this:

that is, the sunsphere, the monument to the 1982 world's fair celebrating energy and the icon which almost singlehandedly makes knoxville cool (almost). the 'sphere closed to the public something like 15 years ago and only recently reopened. upon my first visit, i was disappointed to find that the 'sphere in fact was not full of wigs as bart simpson once told me it was.

the view from the top is breathtaking, again almost making knoxville cool. the observation deck as a party venue sucks. it's a ring with elevators and a kitchen in the middle, so when i go to find my boyfriend after he failed to return from the bar, i can't find him because we are, in fact, both circling the 'sphere in the same direction.

also, consider this: 275 people + 2 one-stall bathrooms = misery. i found myself in line in front of a drunk 21-year-old wearing a very short marie antoinette-esque getup. her boob was hanging out the top. literally. another girl better than i had the decency to approach and pull her dress up over her boob, telling her to cover up because she was embarassing herself. i did not have this decency. i had to pee, therefore could think of nothing else.

this was a party of law school students, obsessive compulsive, bombastic folks who all went over the top with their costumes. it looked like a costume party scene out of a movie or tv show. i could not believe how fantastic some of the costumes were: spinal tap; ms. pacman and blinky the ghost; the price is right showcase showdown complete with light-up showcase showdown contestant booths; and mormons (distasteful, yes; funny, yes).

see for yourself here (click chilla). you might even find me dressed in my favorite rock star video game get up.

No comments: